ALCOUTIM at Leixões, respectively on the 29/10/1966 and 0470271966 - images Rui Amaro
The Portuguese steamer ALCOUTIM (1); Loa 134m/ Lpp129,4m/ beam 17,38m/ 7.127gt/ 4.258nt/ 10.526dwt/ 12 pax/ grain 14.395m3/ 1xtriple expansion engine, 3 cylinder with 3xboilers and 3 furnaces each, for a pressure of 15,5k/cm2, 2.500 hp, built in 1943 by John Inglis & Co. Ltd., Toronto, Canada, 11 knots max./ 9,5 knots cruising; 15/05/1943 completed by North Vancouver Ship Repairs Ltd., North Vancouver, B.C., Canada, yard no. 123, as the “North Sands” standard FORT FIDLER for the Canadian Government, lend-leased on bareboat charter to British Ministry of War Transport (MoWT), mgrs Smith Hogg Co., West Hartlepool; 14/05/1944 FORT FIDLER at position 36-45N/00-55E on passage Taranto/Hampton Roads in ballast, as part of convoy GUS 39, she was damaged by a torpedo fired from U-616, managed to reach Oran and after temporary repairs was towed to Lisbon, arriving on 01/03/1945; 1946 ALCOUTIM, CSGY, Sociedade Geral de Comércio, Indústria e Transportes, Lda, Lisbon, rebuilt by CUF - Companhia União Fabril, in the Estaleiro Naval da AGPL, Lisbon, after purchased from US Maritime Commission; 16/01/1947 registered at Lisbon no. G484/ 23/10/1971 arrived Bilbao for breaking up by Revalorización de Materiales.
The ALCOUTIM (FORT SHIPS) was together with QUIONGA, PEBANE and LUNDA, one of the ships built in Canada/USA making face to the WW2 efforts, which were purchased by Portugal in second hand.
Sources: Miramar Ship Index, U-boat net, Portuguese Merchant Ships.